Basal Body Temperature and the Detection of Ovulation

Basal Body Temperature and the Detection of Ovulation

Postby Herimark on 20 Aug 2012, 10:23

Basal Body Temperature (BBT) is your body temperature at rest ( wake up time). BBT rises after ovulation due to increased progesterone released from the corpus luteum after ovulation. Ovulation can be detected on a fertility chart for the day before the temperature rises. When ovulation is detected on the fertility chart, the chart shows a biphasic( lower temperatures followed by higher temperatures) pattern. BBT stays in a higher range throughout the post-ovulation phase until the end of the cycle. BBT stays high if there is pregnancy.
Herimark

Re: Basal Body Temperature and the Detection of Ovulation

Postby Nickolette on 20 Aug 2012, 10:57

Herimark thanks for the info. Can I get pregnant from intercourse on the day of the temperature rise? Also, what method of temperature measurement is best?
Nickolette

Postby Herimark on 20 Aug 2012, 11:13

NO, by the time you see a thermal shift (a sharp rise in temperature) on your chart, it is already too late to conceive that cycle. Ovulation occurs on the day BEFORE your temperature rises. Therefore the best time to have intercourse are the few days before the temperature rises.
Herimark

Postby Nickolette on 20 Aug 2012, 11:19

what are the chances of conceiving during those few days before ovulation?
Nickolette

Postby Herimark on 20 Aug 2012, 11:25

Nickolette, I can't say with certainty. But the chances are pretty high; provided your partner's sperm count is good and your data collection was good too.
Herimark

Postby Sara on 20 Aug 2012, 11:32

Hello, can i use any thermometer, and what method of measurement is best?
Sara

Postby Donat on 20 Aug 2012, 22:51

To measure basal body temperature youll need an ordinary thermometer - mercurial or electronic. You should measure your temperature daily. Remember about menstruation time. Basal body temperature is measured in mouth, rectum or vagina.
Donat

Postby Alex31 on 20 Aug 2012, 22:57

I never can understend the use of the information about basal body temperature. What women should know it for?
Alex31

Postby Herimark on 21 Aug 2012, 13:02

If you are trying to conceive, then it is important to know your BBT; as this helps detect ovulation and the days suitable for conception from intercourse. As mentioned earlier, ovulation occurs the day before temperature rise. Hence the ovulation day and the few days before are the most fertile days of the cycle. Also it is important to follow a pattern (biphasic) rather than a single temperature rise. This can be achieved by charting your cycle.
Herimark

Postby Pelagie on 21 Aug 2012, 13:13

My temperatures are fluctuating wildly during my period. Why? Will I be able to detect ovulation?
Pelagie

Next

Return to Ovulating