How to Take and Record Your BBT

How to Take and Record Your BBT

Postby Herimark on 28 Aug 2012, 13:21

The importance of BBT can not be over emphasized. Which is why it is important to know exactly how to take and record your temperatures:

-Take your temperature orally or vaginally using and accurate thermometer, and be consistent with the method chosen.
- You should temp as close to the same time every morning as possible.
- Temp only after a solid block of sleep( at least 3hrs) and do so before moving, as any activity will raise your BBT.
- Finally, don't forget to record your temperature as soon as taken.
Herimark

Re: How to Take and Record Your BBT

Postby Flora on 28 Aug 2012, 13:48

What thermometer is best for temperature reading, mercury or digital?
Flora

Postby Herimark on 28 Aug 2012, 13:55

They are both good; but digital thermometers are simple and easier to handle. It is also advisable to use the same thermometer throughout your cycle, to avoid unnecessary fluctuations. You can change the battery if it runs out; but do well to mention it in your chat if you do change thermometer within the cycle.
Herimark

Postby Pelagie on 28 Aug 2012, 14:32

My BBT this cycle has been a little off. I have had no fever or illness of any kind; my environmental temperature is taken into consideration; what could be the problem?
Pelagie

Postby Herimark on 28 Aug 2012, 14:49

Have you been through any kind of emotional stress, excitement or are you on any medication? If yes, then that could be the problem. slight fluctuations in BBT is not a problem; provided you mention the cause in your chart and take into consideration. Here are some other factors that can affect BBT:

Jet lag, alcohol consumption, smoking, travel, and sleeping problems like insomnia.
Herimark

Postby Gina on 28 Aug 2012, 14:57

I notice lower temperatures when I sleep with my mouth open or when I breath with my mouth; and this has been happening a lot lately, since I get home very tired. Is it normal? What can I do about it?
Gina

Postby Herimark on 28 Aug 2012, 15:11

Yes, BBTs are lower than usual when you breathe with your mouth at night. There is no way to correct this on the chart; but it shouldn't be a problem if this happens only occasionally. You will still be able to see a clear pattern on your chart and still pinpoint ovulation.
Herimark

Postby matinez on 28 Aug 2012, 15:31

My wife has been charting for 8 months today, but her temperature range has been fluctuating from cycle to cycle for the last 3 cycles. Is it okay? Could she switch to temping vaginally?
matinez

Postby Herimark on 28 Aug 2012, 17:58

Temperatures will generally stay in the same range from cycle to cycle if there are no changes in your sleeping conditions or environmental factors. The change could be as a result of air conditioning, use of blankets and others; but this shouldn't be a problem as long as your can see a pattern in her chart. Switching to vaginal temping could help, but if you have to you must do so at the start of another cycle; as vaginal temperature readings are higher, hence the disruption of her interpretation.
Herimark

Postby Adele on 28 Aug 2012, 19:02

Is it more important to take my temperatures at the same time everyday or after at least 3hrs of sleep?
Adele

Next

Return to Ovulating