Ectopic Pregnancy

Ectopic Pregnancy

Postby Lis on 08 Sep 2012, 09:07

Hello friends, the problem of ectopic pregnancy has been a great issue in the past and even in these present days. I really want to understand what the issue is all about.So, allow me to ask this, what is an ectopic pregnancy?
Lis

Re: Ectopic Pregnancy

Postby Louis on 08 Sep 2012, 09:12

Hey Lis, In a normal pregnancy, a fertilized egg implants in the uterus (also called the womb). In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg does not make it to the uterus and implants somewhere else. An ectopic pregnancy most often occurs in the fallopian tube, causing a “tubal pregnancy.”.
Louis

Postby Jerry on 08 Sep 2012, 09:16

Hi Louis, you should know that, it can also occur in the ovary, cervix or abdomen. It is important to find the ectopic pregnancy in its early stages. An ectopic pregnancy can rupture or damage the pelvic organ that it is implanted in. This can be very dangerous for the mother.
Jerry

Postby Favor on 08 Sep 2012, 09:20

However, most women do have symptoms and these usually become apparent between week five and week 14 of pregnancy. What are some of these symptoms of ectopic pregnancy in women?
Favor

Postby Utte on 08 Sep 2012, 09:26

Hello everyone. Favor, In a few cases an ectopic pregnancy causes no noticeable symptoms and is only detected during routine pregnancy testing. The ones that usually become apparent between week five and week 14 of pregnancy, includes: abnormal vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, typically just in one side, which can range from mild to severe.
Utte

Postby Louis on 08 Sep 2012, 09:31

The early signs of an ectopic pregnancy are like those of a normal pregnancy. You may have missed periods, sore breasts and nausea (also called "morning sickness"). A home pregnancy test may be positive.
Louis

Postby Jerry on 08 Sep 2012, 09:34

In addition, more serious signs of ectopic pregnancy are pain and vaginal bleeding. You also may feel a sharp or stabbing pain in your stomach or on one side of your pelvis. You may feel dizzy or faint. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should see your doctor immediately please.
Jerry

Postby Lis on 08 Sep 2012, 09:42

Causes and risk factors for ectopic pregnancy are aspects we cannot dulge from. Like I earlier read somewhere that, anyone who can get pregnant can have an ectopic pregnancy. I want to ask also, who is at risk for an ectopic pregnancy?
Lis

Postby Favor on 08 Sep 2012, 09:47

Lis of course, anyone who can get pregnant can have an ectopic pregnancy, but you are more likely to have an ectopic pregnancy if:
-You are older than 35 years of age
-You have had infections (such as pelvic inflammatory disease) or operations in the pelvic area
-You have endometriosis
-You smoke
-You have a history of inflammation of the fallopian tubes or abnormally shaped fallopian tubes
-You have had trouble getting pregnant or have had fertility treatment
-You have had one or more ectopic pregnancies before
Favor

Postby Pauline on 08 Sep 2012, 09:54

Going for treatment, there must be first thorough analysis in order to know what is wrong by diagnosis and tests. If I may ask, goin to my doctor, how will my doctor know if I have an ectopic pregnancy?
Pauline

Next

Return to Miscarriage