Breast Milk

Re: Breast Milk

Postby Louis on 09 Sep 2012, 23:46

I wish to say here that, the most dependable and comfortable pumps are electric. Electric pumps create and release suction on their own and do not require much training to use. Either a lactation consultant or the nurses at the hospital or your doctor's office can help you purchase a pump, as well as teach you how to use it. A lactation consultant is a person who specializes in breastfeeding.
Louis

Postby Lis on 09 Sep 2012, 23:58

Every mother should know the art of collecting, handling, and storing of milk. When storing milk for home use, wash your hands before expressing (pumping). Use 2 to 3 ounce bottles or hard plastic cups that have been washed in hot, soapy water and rinsed well. They should have a cap that fits tightly, such as a screw cap. Heavy duty bags that fit into a nursery bottle are also okay. DO NOT use everyday plastic bags or formula bottle bags, they may leak. Always date the milk before storing it.
Lis

Postby Tony on 10 Sep 2012, 07:40

Greetings to everyone. We should know that, fresh breast milk can be kept at room temperature for up to 8 hours, and refrigerated for 5 to 7 days. Frozen milk can be kept; in a freezer compartment inside the refrigerator for 2 weeks, in a separate door refrigerator/freezer for up to 3 or 4 months, In a deep freezer at constant 0 degrees for 6 months.
Tony

Postby Mado on 10 Sep 2012, 07:45

Hi Tony, frozen and thawed milk too can be refrigerated for up to 9 hours, but it should not be refrozen. Never microwave breast milk because overheating destroys valuable nutrients and "hot spots" can scald your baby. Bottles may explode if left in the microwave too long.
Mado

Postby Nadia on 10 Sep 2012, 07:50

Hey Mado, I just read your post, and you wrote mentioning thawed milk how it canbe refrigerated in a fridge. I want to ask you what is thawed milk?
Nadia

Postby Mado on 10 Sep 2012, 07:54

Hi Nadia, thawing(preserving) and using breast milk is so good. The two best ways to thaw frozen breast milk are; by putting it in the refrigerator, by swirling it in a bowl of warm water. When leaving breast milk with a child care provider, make sure you label the container with your child's name and the date.
Mado

Postby Tony on 10 Sep 2012, 07:59

Mado, I will like to add another advice here. The breast milk should not be refreezed once as it has been thawed. Do not save breast milk from a bottle that has been used. Never add fresh breast milk to frozen milk, all these actions are not recommended for a breastfeeding mother
Tony

Postby Emma on 10 Sep 2012, 08:08

Hi friends, I am sorry to ask a question which is a little out of this topic. But I still think they both have some relativity interms of nutritive values and function. I want to ask what is antibody? I will be glad to hear from anyone who can help me to explain this.
Emma

Postby Nadia on 10 Sep 2012, 08:13

Hi Emma, An antibody is a protein produced by the body's immune system when it detects harmful substances, called antigens. Examples of antigens include microorganisms (such as bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses) and chemicals. Antibodies are also produced when the immune system mistakenly considers healthy tissue a harmful substance.
Nadia

Postby Joyce on 10 Sep 2012, 08:17

Nadia, I will like to also say there is antigens. An antigen is any substance that causes your immune system to produce antibodies against it. An antigen may be a foreign substance from the environment such as chemicals, bacteria, viruses, or pollen. An antigen may also be formed within the body, as with bacterial toxins or tissue cells.
Joyce

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy chat